Trucking Insurance FAQ's

Why do I have to insure a truck that is not running or is just parked?

When an insurance company makes a filing on your behalf (Form BMC91X), the filing states that the insurance company is responsible for all owned, operated, managed, maintained or leased equipment that you own or operate. If you have a truck that isn’t running, you cannot delete it from the policy unless you can produce a Bill of Sale or a copy of an agreement terminating the lease agreement.

How do late payments affect my insurance?

Your payments are agreed upon at the time you bind your insurance policy, or amended when you add or delete equipment or coverages. If you financed your premiums, your finance agreement shows the amount due and the date due. By signing the finance agreement, you agree that you will make those payments by the due date each month. When you fail to make your payments on time, you run the risk of the finance company requesting cancellation of your policy from the insurance company. Most companies have a limit on the amount of times they will reinstate a policy that has been requested to cancel for non-payment. The average limit is three requests for cancellation. On the third request for cancellation, the insurance company will not reinstate the policy and often will not rewrite it. Often times it is difficult to find another company that will write another policy if you show a history of not making your payments on time, or canceling for non-payment. Each time your policy cancels, it is recorded on the FMCSA’s Licensing & Insurance Carrier Search. If your record shows a trend of canceling and reinstating mid-term, instead of properly at renewal, many companies will either decline to write the new policy or charge a higher premium because of the likelihood that the new policy will also suffer repeated cancellations. This causes you to pay higher rates in the long run, even without accidents or losses on the policy.

My trucking company insists that I purchase my physical damage and non-trucking liability insurance through them. Is that proper?

Probably not. Many trucking companies offer truck insurance programs as a savings and convenience to their owner operators. However, this should not preclude you from purchasing your insurance on your own if you so desire. The same holds true with finance companies. You do not have to buy your truck insurance in conjunction with the loan on your truck. Call us if you’re having a problem in this area.

What determines the premium of my primary liability coverage?

Premiums for Primary Liability coverage are determined by several factors including:

  • Driving Record
  • Garage Location
  • Limit of Liability Coverage Desired
  • Type of Operation
  • Condition and age of equipment
Who is required to have ICC Authority / MC Authority?

Any vehicle operating for hire in interstate transportation of regulated freight or passengers must have operating authority.

Do you insure trucks?

Yes.  We represent insurance companies who will insure semi tractors, as well as straight trucks and pickups.

Do you have payment plans?

Many of the insurance companies offer a payment plan.  If they do not, we can set up a payment plan for you through First Insurance Funding Corporation.

How do I get a Certificate of Insurance?

You may print them online yourself, or contact our Certificate Department at 1-800-748-0351, extension 733 (This phone number will not work for all three offices), and they will fax or email a certificate for you.


Owner Operator


(800) 748-0351
4808 Broadmoor Ave SE
Kentwood, MI 49512


(800) 938-7825
4625 East Bay Drive #227
Clearwater, FL 33764


(800) 873-8494
3245 Montgomery Hwy Ste 9
Dothan, AL 36303